12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Candy Cane Cookies
On the third day of Christmas,
My true love sent to me
Three Candy Cane cookies,
Two Toffee Squares
And Spritz Cookie shaped like a Christmas tree.
These cookies take a bit of time to make, but are worth it. They have a nice buttery crispness and the crushed peppermint candy topping adds a nice crunch.
Candy Cane Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen
- 1 cup shortening (half butter)
- 1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract (clear, preferably)
- 1 tsp vanilla (clear, preferably)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg, and flavorings thoroughly.
- Combine flour and salt; stir into shortening mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Blend red food coloring into half of the dough.
- Roll 4-inch strips (using 1 tsp dough for each) from each color (plain dough and red). For smooth, even strips, roll them back and forth on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the strips side-by-side, lightly press together, and twist like rope (see photo above). For best results, complete cookies one at a time – if all the dough of one color is shaped first, the strips may become too dry to twist.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Curve tops of twists to form handle of cane.
- Bake about 9 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm. While still warm, sprinkle with mixture of crushed peppermint candy and sugar.
Cool completely. Store in sealed containers or these fun candy cane bags.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page