12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Snickerdoodles
On the sixth day of Christmas,
My true love sent to me
Five Sugar Cookies,
Four Viennese Crescents,
Three Candy Cane cookies,
Two Toffee Squares,
And a cookie shaped like a Christmas tree.
My grandmother made these cookies every Christmas, and my mother has carried on that tradition. Snickerdoodles typically are rolled in sugar and cinnamon, but my mother rolls them in red and green colored sugar crystals instead.
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Optional: red and green colored sprinkles (the sugar crystal kind)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Or, roll the balls in red and green colored sprinkles.
- Place two inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until set. Transfer from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.
Store in sealed containers, Christmas bags, or these Santa’s Workshop treat boxes.
Photo credit: Kurman Photos
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page