Ben Falk: Adaptive Land Homesteading Video
Ben Falk’s video on Adaptive Land and Infrastructure Systems for a Changing World, is incredibly thought provoking.
Here are the highlights:
- A brief discussion on why our current society is unsustainable (hint: among other things, it’s being propped up on cheap oil)
- A ground up look (literally!) at what we can do to start shaping our land and our lives to be productive, instead of consumptive.
- How developing permanence in your land is the best investment you’ll ever make, and how a well designed system gives you more and more every year.
- Some of the inspiring things Ben and his team have been able to accomplish on their homestead in Vermont, including but not limited to:
- food foresting
- heating their house via a woodstove on less than a cord of wood every winter (in Vermont that’s saying something!)
- developing rice paddies that actually contribute nutrients, instead of deplete them.
- animal husbandry–ducks, chickens, lambs, goats, and more!
WHY PREPPERS NEED TO LEARN FROM SENSEI BEN
Ben is winning.
He is producing a lion share of the food he eats. He grows his own natural medicine. And he’s passing along his knowledge by teaching it to others.
At the most proactive end of prepping is self sufficiency. This is more than just having 72 hour kit or a couple backups. True self sufficiency means that you can support your way of life without external inputs.
While total self sufficiency is near impossible, almost everybody can incorporate some of the steps that Ben has on his property (yes, even on a small footprint!). After all, while individual applications are never the same, principles are consistent.
Check out the entire 2 hour video on YouTube here.
For even more homesteading goodness from Ben Falk and his team, check out their book “The Resilient Farm and Homestead.”
More info on Ben’s company Whole Systems Design.
Since 2010, Dan Carpenter has been posting videos and resources for preppers on The Daily Prep. You can also follow his adventures on YouTube, Twitter, or Facebook. When he’s not preparing for the end of the world, you can find him eating some BBQ, reading a good book, or hanging out with his dog in Salt Lake City, Utah.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page