Buttermilk Spice Muffins
With all of the running around we do during the week, on the weekends, I like to make breakfasts a little more special. This morning I made buttermilk spice muffins and received glowing reviews from the family.
I first came upon these muffins while having brunch one day at a local restaurant and couldn’t get enough of them. Since then, I have been experimenting with the ingredients until I got the recipe just right. These muffins are light and fluffy and have just the right amount of spices in them.
Buttermilk Spice Muffins
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For streusel topping:
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
- Make the topping by whisking together the sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter, stirring till well combined. Set the topping aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare muffin tins
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla to mixing bowl and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into muffin tins until 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes. Start testing for doneness at the end of the suggested baking time; you’ll probably have to add 5 minutes or so to the total time.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page