DIY Lotion Bars
Our skin is a living organ and responds to natural ingredients the same way that your internal body does to natural products. During times of extreme weather, we have to take added measures to protect our skin and keep it moisturized. Lotion helps, but you want to ensure that the ingredients in the lotion are quality ones.
Rather than purchasing a store bought lotion containing ingredients you can’t even pronounce, use this recipe containing 5 natural ingredients that are proven to protect the skin, nourish it and deliver long-lasting moisture.
I use organic oils and butters because I am trying to reduce the chemical load on my body that synthetic ingredients have. This recipe is very gentle on the skin and also makes a wonderful diaper rash cream (just add 1 teaspoon of zinc oxide and instead of the essential oils I used in the below recipe, add essential oils that have antibacterial properties such as chamomile or calendula).
Handmade Lotion Bars
- 2/3 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1 tsp. vitamin E oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. of your favorite essential oil (I used a combination of peppermint and lavender)
- In a large glass mixing bowl, add your beeswax to the coconut oil.
- Place mixing bowl in a saucepan filled with 1.5 inches of boiling water (similar to a double broiler).
- Over low heat, allow mixture to melt thoroughly. Then add shea butter and vitamin E oil. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove glass mixing bowl and add essential oils. I used 1/2 tsp. lavender oil and 1/4 tsp. peppermint oil.
- Pour mixture into soap molds and allow to cool.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page