Dutch Oven Cooking: Pineapple Blueberry Upside Down Cake
You guys are going to love this cake. It’s fool proof and took me five minutes to whip up. I’ve made this dessert on an open grill while camping and it turned out delicious!
Blueberry Pineapple Upside Down Cake (For the Dutch Oven)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can sliced pineapples (juice reserved)
- 1 cup blueberries
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or lemonade
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, add butter and brown sugar until it has completely melted and stir until sugar begins to caramelize. Add pineapple slices (reserve juice for later) and blueberries. Arrange maraschino cherries and turn off heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add ingredients for cake and stir to mix well.
- Dump cake mixture on top of topping mixture.
- Add cast iron lid and set in oven for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.
*If you are cooking outdoors, line your Dutch oven with foil because cleaning the sticky caramel from cast iron in the outdoors is a real pain.
- Place about 15 hot coals in the fire pit and place the Dutch oven over the coals.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to the hot Dutch oven and stir occasionally until butter starts to melt and the sugar starts to caramelize. Keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly!
- Mix cake mix ingredients and follow same directions as stated above.
- When you place the lid on top of cake, place about 15 coals over the lid of the Dutch oven and allow the cake to cook for 15-20 minutes. Carefully lift the lid and working quickly stick a skewer in to check cake. The time may vary depending on your coals. Estimate anywhere from 20-40 minutes.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page