Heirloom Summer Salad
I love the taste of summer. The vegetables are ripe, flavorful and kissed by the sun.
This is my favorite salad recipe for the summer. All of the flavors meld into just right textures and flavors that make summer oh-so-delicious. To make a heartier version of this salad, add boiled new potatoes.
Heirloom Tomato and Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
For Herbed Vinaigrette:
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon thymne leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Blanch green beans in a large stock pot of well salted boiling water until beans turn a bright green in color and are tender crisp, roughly 2-3 minutes. Drain and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop from cooking. Allow beans to sit in water.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients for salad in a large bowl.
- Add green beans and toss gently and refrigerate.
- Prepare vinaigrette.
- When ready to serve, drizzle desired amount onto salad and serve cold.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page