Morning Glory Muffins
Making sure my kids get a running start in the morning is easier said than done. However, these muffins are the way to go! They’re naturally sweet from the coconut flakes, apple and pineapple but are so healthy at the same time.
They’re moist and sweet and I don’t mind my kids snacking on them during the day because they’re healthy.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tbls. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. instant oatmeal
- 1/2 c. shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. shredded carrot
- 3/4 c. raisins
- 1 large apple (peeled and grated)
- 1 c. crushed pineapple (drained, about 8 oz)
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. apple sauce
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Sift or whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add the oatmeal, coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots and nuts, and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the orange juice, eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page