Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Southern Style Slaw
My Southern roots are calling again and the temptation was far too strong to resist! Anyone up for some pulled pork sandwiches topped with Southern style coleslaw? I thought so.
This is a great meal to make with your leftover barbecue. The cole slaw really adds a crunchy and creamy texture to the meal.
All we need is some sweet tea and a rocking chair and we’re set!
Southern Style Cole Slaw
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 4-5 green onions. sliced thin
- 3 tbls. mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbls. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbls. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- hot pepper flakes, optional
- Wash vegetables and shred cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- Add sliced onions and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- For a spicier version of this slaw, add some hot pepper flakes to the mixture.
- Allow slaw to refrigerate 15-20 minutes before serving.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 3-4 lb. pork roast with bone
- 2 bottles of homemade root beer (see recipe here)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Apple Chipotle BBQ sauce), plus 1/2 cup more for serving
- 1 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbls. dark molasses
- 1 capful of liquid smoke
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped sliced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- seasoned salt and pepper
- Hamburger buns
- Wash pork roast and cut into large chunks, if desired. Set meat in a large bowl.
- Add enough root beer to cover meat and allow to marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Drain marinade and set meat in pressure cooker, along with remaining ingredients and set stove on high heat.
- Cover pressure cooker and cook for 1 hour at 15 lbs. of pressure.
- Allow all pressure to escape from pressure cooker before opening.
- With a fork, shred pork and add remaining 1/2 c. BBQ sauce.
- Add meat to a hamburger bun and top with cabbage slaw.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page