After a long, hot summer, fall is finally here! A smile creeps across my face when the large cases of pumpkins arrive at the grocery store because I know – it’s baking season!
I love baking with pumpkin because it adds a nice texture to whatever you are preparing. To start the season off, I wanted to make an oldie but a goody, spiced pumpkin bread.
Spiced Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (homemade or store bought)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
- Mix brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut oil and yogurt in another large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients followed by the walnuts. Gently stir until ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, f desired.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page