- Ready Nutrition - http://readynutrition.com -
Week 2 of 52: Hardware List
Posted By Tess Pennington
On July 19, 2011 @ 2:56 pm
Category: 52 Weeks to Preparedness
Welcome to week 2 of our 52 Weeks to Preparedness series, which focuses on finding cost-effective ways to get you prepared for disasters.
This week we are going to focus on investing in basic hardware items. In later weeks, we will add additional hardware items to the list, but this week we are going to focus on laying a foundation.
A good rule of thumb when planning for emergencies is that a person is only as good as their tools . Good, quality tools are a sound investment and can last a lifetime if they are properly cared for. When purchasing hardware items such as the ones provided in the list below, take take to read online product and customer reviews before you make an investment. Also, avoid these 8 Rookie mistakes  often made by preppers.
1. Involve your children in your family preparedness efforts. Educate them on the different types of disasters and on your family’s disaster plans. Check out websites like Ready Kids  for methods to teach your children about what to do in an emergency.
2. You should ask your child’s school and/or day care about what their disaster plans are. Here are a few questions that I asked our school:
3. Find up-to-date pictures of each family member in case one of them gets separated from you during a disaster event, put the pictures in a waterproof or Ziploc bag, and place it in your emergency kit .
4. Prepare a personal information card  for each family member.
5. As a family, discuss your emergency meeting places, contacts, and plans. Give your children the opportunity to express their feelings and to ask questions so they fully understand the disaster plan.
6. For family members who have special needs, ensure that those needs are accounted for in your emergency plan.
Article printed from Ready Nutrition: http://readynutrition.com
URL to article: http://readynutrition.com/resources/week-2-of-52-hardware-list_19072011/
URLs in this post:
 a person is only as good as their tools: http://readynutrition.com/resources/shtf-survival-a-person-is-only-as-good-as-their-tools_10022011/
 8 Rookie mistakes: http://readynutrition.com/resources/8-mistakes-made-by-first-time-preppers_25042011/
 furry friends: http://readynutrition.com/resources/are-you-ready-series-the-prepared-pet_27022010/
 Ready Kids: http://www.ready.gov/kids/home.html
 emergency kit: http://readynutrition.com/resources/are-you-ready-series-72-hour-kits_04122009/
 personal information card: http://readynutrition.com/resources/keep-kids-safe-with-emergency-id-cards_29042011/
Copyright © 2010 Ready Nutrition. All rights reserved.