- Ready Nutrition - http://readynutrition.com -
Week 2 of 52: Hardware List
Posted By Tess Pennington
On July 19, 2011 @ 2:56 pm
Category: 52 Weeks to Preparedness
Welcome to week 2 of our 52 Weeks to Preparedness series, which focuses on finding cost-effective ways to get you prepared for disasters.
This week we are going to focus on investing in basic hardware items. In later weeks, we will add additional hardware items to the list, but this week we are going to focus on laying a foundation.
A good rule of thumb when planning for emergencies is that a person is only as good as their tools . Good, quality tools are a sound investment and can last a lifetime if they are properly cared for. When purchasing hardware items such as the ones provided in the list below, take take to read online product and customer reviews before you make an investment. Also, avoid these 8 Rookie mistakes  often made by preppers.
1. Involve your children in your family preparedness efforts. Educate them on the different types of disasters and on your family’s disaster plans. Check out websites like Ready Kids  for methods to teach your children about what to do in an emergency.
2. You should ask your child’s school and/or day care about what their disaster plans are. Here are a few questions that I asked our school:
3. Find up-to-date pictures of each family member in case one of them gets separated from you during a disaster event, put the pictures in a waterproof or Ziploc bag, and place it in your emergency kit .
4. Prepare a personal information card  for each family member.
5. As a family, discuss your emergency meeting places, contacts, and plans. Give your children the opportunity to express their feelings and to ask questions so they fully understand the disaster plan.
6. For family members who have special needs, ensure that those needs are accounted for in your emergency plan.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Cookbook: 300 Recipes to Turn Your Emergency Food into Nutritious, Delicious, Life-Saving Meals . When a catastrophic collapse cripples society, grocery store shelves will empty within days. But if you follow this book’s plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply, your family will have plenty to eat for weeks, months or even years. Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com .
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition Google+ 
Article printed from Ready Nutrition: http://readynutrition.com
URL to article: http://readynutrition.com/resources/week-2-of-52-hardware-list_19072011/
URLs in this post:
 a person is only as good as their tools: http://readynutrition.com/resources/shtf-survival-a-person-is-only-as-good-as-their-tools_10022011/
 8 Rookie mistakes: http://readynutrition.com/resources/8-mistakes-made-by-first-time-preppers_25042011/
 Flashlight: http://amzn.to/14FcOTx
 rechargeable batteries: http://amzn.to/1tUNIv8
 hand-crank flashlight: http://amzn.to/1wFoj3X
 Paracord: http://amzn.to/1tUNSCG
 Multi-tool: http://amzn.to/1DIm8BH
 furry friends: http://readynutrition.com/resources/are-you-ready-series-the-prepared-pet_27022010/
 Ready Kids: http://www.ready.gov/kids/home.html
 emergency kit: http://readynutrition.com/resources/are-you-ready-series-72-hour-kits_29082013/
 personal information card: http://readynutrition.com/resources/keep-kids-safe-with-emergency-id-cards_29042011/
 The Prepper’s Cookbook: 300 Recipes to Turn Your Emergency Food into Nutritious, Delicious, Life-Saving Meals: http://www.amazon.com/The-Preppers-Cookbook-Nutritious-Life-Saving/dp/1612431291
 ReadyNutrition.com: http://readynutrition.com
 Originally published July 19th, 2011: http://readynutrition.com/resources/week-2-of-52-hardware-list_19072011/
 Google+: http://readynutrition.com" style=
Copyright © 2010 Ready Nutrition. All rights reserved.