- Ready Nutrition Official Website For Natural Living, Sustainable Lifestyle Tips, Health Food Recipes, Family Preparedness and More - https://readynutrition.com -

Are You Ready Series: Flash Mobs

[1]Flash mobs are an ever-growing phenomenon in our country. We have all seen the stories and are familiar with the hordes of angry teen-led flash mobs ravaging stores and stealing from people on the streets. Many believe these mob participants are disadvantaged minorities whose sole purpose is to wreck havoc. That said, many of these mass-muggings have turned extremely violent.

Although mob attacks typically occur in more densely populated areas, especially in the summertime when tourists are present, who’s to say this growing epidemic [2] will not trickle into smaller towns?

Why Do They Attack?

Many ask why a mob made up of primarily teenage youth attack. At first it seemed that these mob attacks targeted tourists, but the more they occurred, they continues to increase in violence. Large metropolitan areas, such as Chicago, Detroit, and New York City, seem to bear the brunt of these senseless crimes. In one of these recent attacks,  a 34-year-old Chicago man was beaten and robbed by a group of 15-20 teenagers.

These hoodlums know there is power in numbers, and they are using it to their advantage. Mob attacks have been known to be announced via text message or through social media sites where the word will get out more quickly. To combat this, police officers are monitoring social network sites attempting to stop the mobs before they strike.  However, due to the spontaneity of this type of crime, police officers are finding it very difficult to be proactive.

Could the economy be to blame? Some people believe so. Columnist, Mary Mitchell believes this is more about a breakdown of civility rather than a race issue. She believes this breakdown [3] can spread like a disease. As long as there are so many teens that are not engaged in productive activities, no one is immune from the impact of that disease.In 2012, fewer than three in 10 American teenagers held summer jobs, which set the stage to make a bad situation even worse. As it is, too many teens have nowhere to go and nothing to do. These teens have no home training, and their parents and guardians allow them to hang out at festivals, concerts, and public areas unsupervised.

[4]

Understanding Mob Behavior

When watching video footage of these mob attacks, you see can plainly see many of the delinquents smiling and laughing as if this were some sort of a game. Perhaps they know they will get some sort of media attention, which will only further escalate these mob-type attacks. To further understand this phenomenon, scientists at the University of Leeds have researched and believe they have found the source of why humans flock like sheep and birds.  In an article [5] regarding this subject, they indicate that we are merely subconsciously following a minority of individuals.

Researchers discovered that it takes a minority of just 5 percent to influence a crowd’s direction – and that the other 95 percent follow without realizing it… We’ve all been in situations where we get swept along by the “crowd,” says Professor Krause.  “But what’s interesting about this research is that our participants ended up making a consensus decision despite the fact that they weren’t allowed to talk or gesture to one another.  In most cases the participants didn’t realize they were being led by others.”

Don’t be a victim of a mob attack:

If you find yourself near a mob-like situation:

In a time when police stations are overwhelmed with civil issues, violent mob attacks are becoming  more of a prevalent issue in this country. Relying solely on the police to deal with this issue is not the answer.

Citizens are taking matters into their own hands and banding together to create teams to patrol the streets. They stay in contact with one another through their cell phones and try to go unnoticed. In Chicago alone, the Guardian Angels [6] are taking steps to safeguard neighborhoods, schools and cyberspace from bullying, gangs, and violence. They have even created education programs helping the youth get off the streets. We should all take notice of this band of citizens taking matters into their own hands in an effort to make their world a safer place.

[7]