In an effort to be more frugal, I am looking at ways I can re-purpose some of the items I already have in my home. I had a surplus of mesh produce bags and decided to get creative in ways to reuse them.
The next time you are at the store, pay close attention to how many products come in mesh bags: Potatoes, onions, garlic, apples, oranges, popsicles and many more. They come in a variety of sizes ranging from extra small to extra large.
Here are a few ways to reuse them and simplify your life at the same time.
- Pot Scrubber – Rather than going out spending a few extra dollars from your budget for a new pot scrubber, you can make your own with a produce bag. First, clip the edges of the bag. Then, bunch it together so it looks similar to a bow-tie. Finally, secure it with a zip or twist tie and voilà! This is also a good to use when washing the car. You can scrub the caked on mud or insects on your car.
- Compost Worm Collector – Those of you who have worm bins know it’s next to impossible getting all of the worms out of your bin before you collect the compost. The next time you have kitchen scraps, put them in a product bag and secure it with a twist tie. In a few days, the worms will move to where the bag is and eat the kitchen scraps. Once most of the worms are in the bag, place them in their new spot.
- Excess Product Storage – If you belong to a co-op or have an excess of produce from the garden, these mesh bags can be the perfect answer for storage. Produce like onions, potatoes, and garlic need airflow in order to keep well.
- Carry all – These bags are also great for reusing as a storage bag when you go to the store. It is also a great bag to put bath toys in. If you have over sized mesh bags, you can also use them when picking up essential leaves around the yard ato transfer to a garden bed for mulching.
- Loofah – Do you have a bunch of small or broken soap bits left over from your bars of soap? Put them in a mesh bag and tie in a knot. The next time you’re in the shower, use it as a loofah to soften skin. It can also be used to clean dirty garden tools, or dirty hands for that matter after working in the garden or if your hands are dirty from working on engines.