The unheard of happened in Texas this weekend. After much praying, we finally had a long rainy day. As the rain started falling and continued to fall for the rest of the day, I wanted to celebrate and treat my family to a hot bowl of savory beef soup and homemade egg noodles. I made the noodles a few weeks ago and dehydrated them so that I could use them for a rainy day.
Good things take time and this soup took all day to cook. The family kept buzzing around the kitchen wondering when it would be finished. Once I finally served the soup, my family sat around the table eating, munching on crusty bread and talking about the day. One thing I can say for this rainy day is that it got us all to slow down, catch up and enjoy eachother’s company.
- 1 tbls. oil
- 2 lbs. beef with bone in
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 cup of pureed or chopped tomatoes
- 1 beet, whole
- 5 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, whole
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 c. peas
- 1-2 tbls. herbs for seasoning (dill and oregano work well with this soup)
- Salt for seasoning
- Flash fry the beef in oil for about 5 minutes on each side in order to seal up the meal. Add seasonings to each side.
- Add water and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then, lower temperature and simmer on a very low setting for 5-10 hours.
- Allow to cool for an hour.
- Remove the onion and beet if you have picky kids.
- Take out the meat and vegetables and cut into bite size pieces. (This can be done ahead of time. I was just feeling lazy and decided to cut it after it was cooked).
- Cook noodles in a separate pot and add to soup bowls individually.
- Enjoy with some crusty bread on the side.