My Southern roots are calling again and the temptation was far too strong to resist! Anyone up for some pulled pork sandwiches topped with Southern style coleslaw? I thought so.
This is a great meal to make with your leftover barbecue. The cole slaw really adds a crunchy and creamy texture to the meal.
All we need is some sweet tea and a rocking chair and we’re set!
Southern Style Cole Slaw
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 4-5 green onions. sliced thin
- 3 tbls. mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbls. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbls. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- hot pepper flakes, optional
- Wash vegetables and shred cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- Add sliced onions and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- For a spicier version of this slaw, add some hot pepper flakes to the mixture.
- Allow slaw to refrigerate 15-20 minutes before serving.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 3-4 lb. pork roast with bone
- 2 bottles of homemade root beer (see recipe here)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Apple Chipotle BBQ sauce), plus 1/2 cup more for serving
- 1 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbls. dark molasses
- 1 capful of liquid smoke
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped sliced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- seasoned salt and pepper
- Hamburger buns
- Wash pork roast and cut into large chunks, if desired. Set meat in a large bowl.
- Add enough root beer to cover meat and allow to marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Drain marinade and set meat in pressure cooker, along with remaining ingredients and set stove on high heat.
- Cover pressure cooker and cook for 1 hour at 15 lbs. of pressure.
- Allow all pressure to escape from pressure cooker before opening.
- With a fork, shred pork and add remaining 1/2 c. BBQ sauce.
- Add meat to a hamburger bun and top with cabbage slaw.