Black Bean Patties with Kicked Up Remoulade Sauce
It is important to diversify and layer your food supply into short and long-term shelf stable foods. That way, when the time comes for you to fall upon these foods, you will be able to use your layered food supply to make lots of dishes.
Beans are by far one of the easiest ingredients to incorporate into your recipes and are also one of the most versatile, nutritious and popular foods amongst preppers.
One of my family’s favorite meals are black bean patties. These little patties are so versatile and can be used as a meat replacement, as a small snack or as the main dish when accompanied with some healthy sides like rice and salad. Most importantly, these bean patties are kid approved and will not disappoint!
For Black Bean Patties:
(makes 5 small patties)
- 1 15.8 oz. cans of black beans; washed and drained
- 1 slice of bacon; fried and crumbled, 1 tsp bacon drippings reserved
- 4-8 tablespoons olive oil; divided
- 1/4 cup purple onion; chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg
- 2 cups panko or fresh bread crumbs
For Kicked Up Remoulade sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
- 5 tsp ketchup
- 1 heaping tsp garlic salt
- 5 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. hot pepper jelly
- Tabasco to taste
For Kicked Up Remoulade Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients and set in refrigerator to chill.
For Black Bean Patties:
- Begin by warming the black beans on low heat while you prep the other ingredients.
- Sauté the onion and garlic together in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened.
- Add half of the black beans, bacon, bacon drippings, onion, garlic, basil, cumin, cayenne, salt to a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped, but not too blended.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the remaining black beans and cream cheese. Stir until incorporated.
- Chill the mixture until cool – about an 20 minutes or so.
- After the mixture has cooled, gently form the patties and set aside.
- Prepare 3 separate bowls for battering. Flour goes in the first one. Then beat an egg and the half and half together in the second one. And the bread crumbs go in the third one.
- Batter the patties by coating first with flour, then the egg mixture and finish with the bread crumbs. Set aside after coated.
- Have a plate or cooling rack lined with paper towels ready for patties when cooked.
- Prepare the skillet by heating 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry patties in small batches, cooking approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Be sure to watch the oil for overheating, and, if needed, add additional oil or start with new oil if it gets too dark.
- Remove patties, let cool on paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with some Kicked Up Remoulade Sauce and a spoonful of spicy salsa.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page