Candied Citrus Peel
These little guys will spruce up a cake or muffins, dipped in dark chocolate or can be eaten alone! Anyone at any skill level can make these. The method to make these delectable treats is so simple – sugar and fruit.
You can choose from any citrus you prefer – lemons, oranges, tangerines, limes or grapefruit. However, it may be easier if you choose a fruit with thick skin.
Candied Citrus Peel
- 6 organic citrus fruits
- 5 cups sugar, divided
- Cut the top and bottom off each citrus fruit. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off pieces of the skin, cutting from top to bottom.
- Slice peels into 1/4-inch strips or leave in natural shaped pieces.
- Place peels in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Drain and repeat two more times.
- Create a simple syrup by mixing 4 cups sugar with 3 cups cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Add citrus peels and turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer peels for 1 hour over low heat. Remove from liquid.
- Spread remaining sugar evenly on a baking sheet. Roll orange peels in sugar and place on cooling racks to dry, about 3 to 5 hours.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page