These little guys will spruce up a cake or muffins, dipped in dark chocolate or can be eaten alone! Anyone at any skill level can make these. The method to make these delectable treats is so simple – sugar and fruit.
You can choose from any citrus you prefer – lemons, oranges, tangerines, limes or grapefruit. However, it may be easier if you choose a fruit with thick skin.
Candied Citrus Peel
- 6 organic citrus fruits
- 5 cups sugar, divided
- Cut the top and bottom off each citrus fruit. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off pieces of the skin, cutting from top to bottom.
- Slice peels into 1/4-inch strips or leave in natural shaped pieces.
- Place peels in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Drain and repeat two more times.
- Create a simple syrup by mixing 4 cups sugar with 3 cups cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Add citrus peels and turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer peels for 1 hour over low heat. Remove from liquid.
- Spread remaining sugar evenly on a baking sheet. Roll orange peels in sugar and place on cooling racks to dry, about 3 to 5 hours.