Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is my kind of soup – it’s base is a classic broth, but the spices and seasonings give it personality and kick it up a notch.
My family and I are big fans of this and whenever I have a leftover chicken carcass hanging out in my refrigerator, this is the first soup that I think of.
The seasonings are intense and the soup is incredibly filling. Even the kids will enjoy this!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6-8 c. water
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 onion, whole
- 5 carrots, whole
- 2 celery stalks, whole
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 1-8 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1-8 oz. can black beans, liquid drained
- 3 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1 bunch cilantro, cut into strips
- 5-6 corn tortillas
- 1 packet enchilada seasoning mix
- 2 tbs. chili powder
- 2 tbs. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- grated cheese, chopped avocado and tortilla chips to garnish
- In a large stock pot, add the first six ingredients. Simmer on medium-low for 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and remove vegetables and add to a blender. Blend until liquified and add back to soup.
- Remove chicken carcass and allow to cool. In the meantime, add can of diced tomatoes, beans, corn, chopped cilantro and corn tortilla strips.
- When the chicken has cooled, pick off any pieces of meat and add to the soup. Preferably get 2 cups of meat off of the carcass. (If you can’t get that amount, then add a can of chicken meat to the soup.)
- Add seasonings and lemon juice. Stir well.
- When ready to serve, add grated cheese and any additional toppings.
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Blueprint, a comprehensive guide that uses real-life scenarios to help you prepare for any disaster. Because a crisis rarely stops with a triggering event the aftermath can spiral, having the capacity to cripple our normal ways of life. The well-rounded, multi-layered approach outlined in the Blueprint helps you make sense of a wide array of preparedness concepts through easily digestible action items and supply lists.
Tess is also the author of the highly rated Prepper’s Cookbook, which helps you to create a plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply and includes over 300 recipes for nutritious, delicious, life-saving meals.
Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page