Suggested Items for Short Term Food Supply
Gathering a three day food supply is useful for the home as well as for 72 hour kits. Begin by listing all family members (pets included) and keeping in mind any special health needs (allergies, diabetes, etc) for the members. Plan meals to meet a 1500-2000 calorie diet that are high in nutrients. Having a ready food supply already stocked will keep the mind focused on creating a safety plan and preparing rather than losing precious time at the store and the gas stations getting provisions and supplies.
Some suggested food supply items are:
- Canned fruits, vegetables and meats
- Canned meals
- Dry mixes
- Trail mix
- Whole grain cereals
- Canned soups and broths
- Dried soup mixes (including bouillon cubes)
- Boxed juices and milks.
- Peanut butter
- Beef jerky or dried/smoked meats
- Granola or granola bars
- Energy bars
- Instant pudding
- Hard candy
- Instant rice and potatoes
- Instant oatmeal
- dry milk
- Infant formula or baby foods
- Powdered drink mixes
- Ready to eat meals (such as MRE’s)
- Freeze dried foods
- Food for pets
Important Notes to Consider:
- Water, infant formula, and canned foods are usually the first items to go. People buy the same foods, so if there is a mass rush and everyone is buying the same foods, there will not be enough for everyone.
- It is important to note that water is one of the most important items to have on hand. Without water, some foods cannot be prepared as well as th uese for drinking purposes. Have water in food grade containers so they last longer. Some preparedness sites suggest having atleast two quarts of water a day, but that amount seems too small and does not take into account that issues arise and more water may be needed. When preparing a water supply plan on using 1 gallon of water per day per member of the household. If water supplies is a concern, avoid certain foods and drinks that are high in salt, over processed foods or caffeinated beverages. These foods tend to make the body crave more water due to the high salt content.
- Having ready to eat foods, staple foods, and speciality foods stocked such as hard candy or cookies creates a sense of normalcy and lifts moral.
This information has been made available by Ready Nutrition
share this article with others
Leave A Comment...
Ready Nutrition Home Page