With all of the running around we do during the week, on the weekends, I like to make breakfasts a little more special. This morning I made buttermilk spice muffins and received glowing reviews from the family.
I first came upon these muffins while having brunch one day at a local restaurant and couldn’t get enough of them. Since then, I have been experimenting with the ingredients until I got the recipe just right. These muffins are light and fluffy and have just the right amount of spices in them.
Buttermilk Spice Muffins
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For streusel topping:
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
- Make the topping by whisking together the sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter, stirring till well combined. Set the topping aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare muffin tins
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla to mixing bowl and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into muffin tins until 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes. Start testing for doneness at the end of the suggested baking time; you’ll probably have to add 5 minutes or so to the total time.