When you are feeling under the weather, sometimes the best medicine is to take a hot bath or shower and allow the steam to help open up airways. Adding some essential oils to the water creates a powerful bond between the steam and oils and helps to ease symptoms of certain ailments, especially those of the upper respiratory tract, nose and sinuses. Additionally, the baking soda in these bath blocks assists your body in purging toxins and softens the skin.
Some of my favorite oils to use for upper respiratory infections are peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus oil. In fact, a study conducted in Italy found that eucalyptus oil was effective in treating various respiratory viruses and bacteria including strains of influenza, Streptococcus and pneumonia. Other beneficial oils that could be used to treat respiratory infections are: rosemary, basil, thyme, cedar, pine, tea tree, orange or ginger.
Vick’s Soothing Bath Blocks
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2/3 cup water
- 15 drops each of essential oils (peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender)
- Prepare a mini cupcake tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add baking soda and water and stir until mixed. Mixtures should be comparable to a thick paste.
- Add 15 drops each of essential oils.
- Mix well and with a large spoon or ice cream scoop, add heaping spoonfuls of mixture to the lined cupcake pan. (I filled mine to 1/4 full)
- Allow to sit overnight or until hardened.
To Use: Add one Vick’s bomb to the bath or shower and slowly breath in to breath in the aroma.