I recently changed up the way that I cook to reflect a healthier lifestyle. Sad to say, that the life of a paleo and gluten-free eater is a lonely one. It seems that no one in my family is on board with this choice and typically turn their nose up at my paleo meals. That is until I tricked them with this brownie recipe.
Unbeknownst to them, when they got home from school, I had a plate of brownies waiting for them – gluten-free+paleo, of course. They ate the whole plate of brownies and told me it was the best they ever ate.
So there you have it, folks. If my kids loved them, your family will too. Best of all, they are guilt-free! These fudgy treats are made with coconut flour and coconut sugar and taste phenomenal.
You could also make gluten-free fudge topping (see below), but they are delicious with it.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (optional)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper and spray. Once done, set pan aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and heat on high power to melt, about 45 seconds. Stop to stir, and heat in 10-second bursts until mixture has melted and can be stirred smooth (mine took 45 seconds + 15 seconds). Batter will be granular.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, and stir until batter is well blended. Add the flour and milk and stir until combined. Add dark chocolate chunks as an optional ingredient and stir until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out with moist crumbs attached. Don’t over bake!
- Let brownies cool completely.
- Optional: When brownies are cooled, in a small mixing bowl add ingredients for fudge topping and smooth over the top. Refrigerate immediately to set topping.
- Store in airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.