I like to throw my kids a curve ball from time to time. When I call out to tell them that “pizza is on the table,” I love to watch their confusion. They always have a surprised look on their face because their pizza is covered in fresh fruit. That’s right, I duped them with my healthy pizza.
This pizza is a healthier version of some of the other fruit pizza recipes floating around, but it is equally as tasty. The kids really like the drizzled honey that I put on the crust to add a little extra sweetness.
Play around with whatever fruit you have available. I have added sliced apples, pears and bananas. But my kids usually love it when I add lots and lots of berries.
Fruit Pizza with Oatmeal Cookie Crust
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or half white and half whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Greek yogurt
- Assorted fruit slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12-inch pizza pan with parchment paper, allowing it to extend 1 inch over the edge on at least 2 sides; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, & vanilla until well combined. Add flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon; stir with wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Transfer dough to center of parchment-covered pizza pan, and spread with back of wooden spoon evenly to edges of pan.
- Bake 15 minutes until starting to slightly brown around edges and is firm in center. Cool 15 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Pick up pizza crust using the parchment paper and remove crust from pan.
- Transfer to cooling rack; cool completely. Invert onto serving plate; carefully peel off parchment paper. Turn crust over.
- Once crust has cooled, drizzle with a small amount of honey
- Add a dollop of thick greek yogurt and spread over crust.
- Arrange fruit on top of pizza.
- Chill for 30 minutes or serve immediately.