This is my favorite salad recipe for the summer. All of the flavors meld into just the right textures and flavors that make summer oh-so-delicious. To make a heartier version of this salad, add boiled new potatoes.
Heirloom Tomato and Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- optional: 3 boiled new potatoes, cooled and sliced in quarters
For Herbed Vinaigrette:
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Blanch green beans in a large stock pot of well salted boiling water until beans turn a bright green in color and are tender-crisp, roughly 2-3 minutes. Drain and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop from cooking. Allow beans to sit in water.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients for salad in a large bowl.
- Add green beans and toss gently and refrigerate.
- Prepare vinaigrette.
- When ready to serve, drizzle desired amount onto salad and serve cold.