I’m really trying to get away from store bought foods these days. With a little creativity, you can make almost anything yourself. I can now add instant oatmeal mix to the recipe box and the bonus is that I’m feeding my kids using wholesome ingredients.
I will add dehydrated fruits and nuts to the mixture for added flavor and the kids love it.
This recipe makes 14 servings – so if you’re family is big on oatmeal (like my family is), you can make your own and have enough leftover for future breakfasts. Feel free to play around with this recipe. For instance, you can substitute honey or agave nectar as a sugar replacement.
Instant Oatmeal Mix
Makes 14 – half cup servings
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup dry powdered milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried fruit or nuts
- In a large bowl, combine all of the above ingredients. Then store in airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 month.
To prepare oatmeal:
- Place 1/2 cup of mix and add 1/2 cup boiling water or milk to the mix and stir until oats are softened, about 2-3 minutes.