There is always a Thanksgiving recipe or two that I like to change up. This year, I want to add a kick to my cranberry sauce.
This recipe really plays up the sweet and spicy combination and can be made up to two days in advance in order to get all the flavors to incorporate. If you really want to add some spice, try adding some chipotle peppers to the cranberry sauce. The smokiness of the chipotles would really add some complex flavors.
With any leftovers, I plan on making a delicious freezer jam out of it to be used for hor d’ oeuvres at Christmas parties. How amazing is that?
Jalapeno Infused Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce
- 1 bag (about 12 To 16 Oz) fresh cranberries
- 1 jalapeno, whole
- 1/2 cup segmented tangerines, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cups sugar or 1/4 cup maple syrup for a lighter version
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Add cranberries and pomegranate juice to a blender and pulse until cranberries are chopped to desired consistency.
- Add chopped cranberries to a medium saucepan and combine all remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Mixture will thicken as it cooks. Remove jalapeno.
- May be refrigerated up to two days in advance.