The rich buttermilk adds a nice texture to the dough and the lemon zest adds a lovely flavor and aroma.
Similar to making biscuits, this dough is easy to make and requires no kneading, so you mix it, cut it and bake it. You could also add fresh berries into the dough for added flavor.
When baked, these scones are perfectly soft on the inside and are absolutely wonderful when paired with tea. My family enjoys scones with berry compote but they would be wonderful with fresh whipped cream or your favorite jam.
Lemon Buttermilk Scones
- 2 cups organic, unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick of butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel of 1 lemon
- Turbinado sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl add all wet ingredients, stir ingredients and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients. With a fork, cut through cubed butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- On a floured surface, form the dough into a ball and flatten until dough is 1/2 thick and 8 inches in circumference.
- Using a pizza slicer, slice dough just enough to cut through dough.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with berry compote.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients and leave at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.