Making sure my kids get a running start in the morning is easier said than done. However, these muffins are the way to go! They’re naturally sweet from the coconut flakes, apple, and pineapple but are so healthy at the same time.
They’re moist and sweet and I don’t mind my kids snacking on them during the day because they’re healthy.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c. brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tbls. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. instant oatmeal
- 1/2 c. shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. shredded carrot
- 3/4 c. raisins
- 1 large apple (peeled and grated)
- 1 c. crushed pineapple (drained, about 8 oz)
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. apple sauce
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Sift or whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Add the oatmeal, coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots and nuts, and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the orange juice, eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.