Natural remedies can be used as often as needed and are natural forms of healing that people have lived with safely for years.
This homemade cough syrup can easily be made – all you need are two ingredients – onions and sugar. The amount of sugar or honey you will need depends on the size of your onion.
Allow the onions to sit in the sugar at least overnight before using. Once the onions begin extracting their juices, you will see that they actually shrink when the juices are drawn into the honey. Obviously there will be slight onion flavor to this, but the sugar will mask most of it; and most of all, it is soothing.
Onion Cough Syrup
Makes 1 cup
- One medium sized yellow onion
- One or two cups of sugar or raw, unfiltered honey
- Thinly slice a medium yellow onion.
- Lay the slices in the glass jar.
- Pour or spoon the honey over it a few times until you have loosely placed all the onion into the container.
- Fill the container with honey up to the level of the onion or a little higher.
- After it sits overnight (or about 8 hours) strain out the onion pieces CAREFULLY. The onions will tend to stay clumped together.
- Can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
My experience is that it lasts at least a month if kept in the refrigerator.
Take as often as you wish. A spoonful once every hour is not too much.