This delicious rice recipe is a snap to make and a great to use as an appetizer, snack or to use for any leftover rice you may have in your refrigerator. You can stuff your rice balls with cheese or meat for a savory flavor, or add your favorite sweet spices and 2-3 teaspoons of sugar for a sweetened version of rice balls. Either way, this is a crowd pleaser and the kids will love them!
Italian Rice Balls
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 cups olive oil
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, Italian spices, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover mixture and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook rice according to directions. Allow rice to cool for 15 minutes and slowly pour in egg mixture, and stir until combined. Allow rice mixture to cool in refrigerator for 30 hour.
- Pour breadcrumbs and remaining salt into a pile on one end of a cutting board. Dampen hands and roll rice mixture into 1-inch balls. Coat each one with breadcrumbs.
- In a small deep skillet, heat olive oil to 350F (make sure the oil will cover the rice balls). Fry rice balls 6 at a time, turning as needed to ensure even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.