Because regular cornmeal can make this recipe a bit on the gritty side, I like to use cornmeal flour to keep the batter smooth.
Did I mention it was kid approved? This is my son’s favorite breakfast recipe and asks me to make it every year on his birthday.
Feel free to add berries to the batter or add buttermilk in lieu of regular milk – it’s a very versatile recipe. Enjoy!
Pioneer Cornmeal Pancakes
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal masa flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pancake syrup or fruit compote for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Flip when the edges start to set and get crispy. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Serve with syrup or fruit compote.