My baking seems to reflect my love for this season. This morning, I made pumpkin spiced waffles for my family and realized that I needed to share it with all of you.
This is the perfect welcome meal to celebrate fall and pairs perfectly with a spicy chai tea latte or your favorite hot beverage. Drizzle some warm maple syrup or dust it lightly with powdered sugar, this recipe won’t disappoint.
Pumpkin Spiced Waffles
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar or substitute 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and warm
1. Lightly oil and preheat waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk together to break apart the cornstarch and blend. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and whisk to blend.
3. Separate eggs: yolks go in a medium-sized bowl and whites get set aside in a smaller bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, add pumpkin, milk and egg yolks. Whisk to blend.
5. In a small bowl, whip egg whites with a hand mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
6. Pour melted butter into pumpkin mixture. As you pour, whisk to combine.
7. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix together until just combined.
8. Slide the whipped egg whites out of the bowl and onto the mixture you just prepared. Gently fold them in until completely mixed.
9. Once the waffle iron is heated, pour batter and press down until ready – about 3 minutes.