Making sorbets cannot get any easier than this method. Any canned fruits in heavy syrups are preferred, but light syrups are also welcome. You can play around with this simple recipe by adding your favorite liqueurs, juices, herbs or spices.
Ensure that any fruits with pits have been pitted and put through a fine sieve to remove any seed particles.
It is even possible to take the technique a step further and make quick frozen yogurt by freezing containers of flavored yogurt and processing them with frozen canned fruit.
Sorbets could even be made off-grid using this archaic refrigeration technique.
Simply Delicious Sorbert
- 16-ounce can fruit in heavy syrup, frozen at least 12 hours
- 2 tablespoons desired flavorings such as liqueurs, vanilla, additional fruit or juice.
- Place the frozen can of fruit in hot water for about 1 minute. Remove the lid, and pour any liquid into a food processor. Remove the bottom of the can, slide the fruit out, and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Place in the food processor with the liqueurs, vanilla, juices or any additional flavoring and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve at once, or transfer to a container, and place in the freezer.
Yield: about 1 pint, 4 servings.