I have found the recipe to be so versatile that I have made this cake with different types of fruit arranged on the bottom, as well as just made it plain; and it’s tasty whichever way it’s made! This cake would be a great choice if you had to take a dessert over to a get together or to share sipping tea with a friend.
Yogurt Cake with Brown Sugar Pears
Adapted from www.ButterBaking.com
- 2 firm pears, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Zest of half a lemon (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a round spring-form cake pan and set aside. If you choose to add nuts to your cake, sprinkle them around the bottom of the cake pan.
- Peel and slice pears. Put them into a small bowl and mix in the brown sugar until it coats all the pears evenly. Add pears to the bottom of the pan until they are evenly distributed around the base of the pan.
- Put the yogurt, sugar, salt and vanilla in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Pour in the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into the yogurt mixture. Whisk lightly to combine and add in the lemon zest, if using. Pour the batter into your cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and risen. Check cake by inserting a skewer in the center and when it comes out clean, it’s ready. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes or so.