On the second day of Christmas,
My true love sent to me
Two Toffee Squares,
And a cookie shaped like a Christmas tree.
These Toffee Squares are sweet, salty, and decadent. My sister -unlike me – isn’t a big fan of chocolatey or rich desserts, but this is one cookie we agree on. We both find them addictive.
Here’s our Grandma’s recipe.
The second day of Christmas…
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour and salt until dough is well blended.
- Spread in a 13×10 sized rectangle on a greased baking sheet.
- Leave about 1 inch all around edge of a baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Crust will be soft.
- Remove from oven and immediately place chocolate chips on top. Let stand until soft; spread evenly over entire surface.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, if desired. Cut in small squares while warm.
Please be sure to tune in tomorrow for our third recipe!