Lemon curd can be spread on puffy scones, dolloped on pastries or cheese cake or eaten on a humble piece of toast.
Delight in the gifts of the season and make the most of your lemon harvest.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 stick cold butter, cubed
- Prepare a double broiler with water and set on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add yolks and sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Measure lemon juice to 1/3 cup and add juice along with zest and continue to mix in mixing bowl.
- When the water in the double broiler begins to simmer actively, slowly add mixture to pan and whisk in.
- Continue whisking until mixture thickens. Mixture is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and slowly add pats of butter and whisk until completely melted and incorporated.
- Remove to a clean container and cover by adding a layer of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for up to two weeks (if you can resist it for that long).