Quiche Lorraine is a classic breakfast or brunch item. And it’s got a story behind it. Marseillaise mothers pass treasured bouillabaisse recipes to their daughters, while in Lorraine, every family knows how to bake the famous quiche lorraine. And they’ve known for as long as anyone can remember. The recipe has stood the test of time to become part of France’s culinary heritage as well as ours.
Try this recipe out and feel free to change it up. Adding vegetables like broccoli, spinach, leeks or sweet pepper will only liven the taste of texture.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter – at room temperature
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 6 slices of thick cut bacon or ham, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 c. grated Swiss cheese
- 1/2 c. spinach, shredded – optional
- To make pastry crust, mix flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Using fork, cut in butter, and mix until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Heat oven to 425°F. With floured rolling pin, roll pastry until 1/4 inch thick. Circumference of the dough should be about 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch quiche dish or glass pie dish.
- Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie pan dish. Unfold and ease into dish, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate, if desired.
- Carefully line pastry with foil and press to bottom and side of pastry. Let foil extend over edge to prevent excessive browning. Bake 10 minutes. Carefully remove foil and bake 2 to 4 minutes longer or until pastry just begins to brown and has become set. If crust bubbles, gently push bubbles down with back of spoon.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pie crust. In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly; beat in remaining filling ingredients. Pour into quiche dish.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.