Instant potato flakes are on the recommended list of foods to have in your prepper’s pantry and are a practical, yet delicious addition to meals. Not to mention they are also one of the most inexpensive foods on the market today, but those of you who are die-hard do-it-yourselfers, you can make them using this recipe.
The aspect that I love most about this prepper staple is it’s one of the fastest ways to stretch a meal. These handy flakes can go a long way in terms of cooking too. Here are six easy ways to incorporate potato flakes into your recipes. Keep in mind that 1 cup of measured potato flakes is roughly 2 weighed ounces of real potatoes.
1. Soup Thickeners. Adding potato flakes will instantly thicken your soup or stew. The best part is, you only need a small amount of flakes. For a pot of soup, use approximately 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes.
2. Make bread. All you need is 1 cup of prepared potato flakes to make this simple potato bread recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a soup or stew. Use it to either make 1 loaf of potato bread or used to make potato rolls.
3. Use instant potatoes in meatloaf. Using dried potatoes in lieu of bread crumbs is another way to make use of that box of just-add-water potatoes. Did you know that you can make pancakes from potato flakes? My kids love them when I did.
4. Thicken up those pancakes! Sprinkle some potato flakes in your pancake batter for a rich and thick pancake! You can serve the pancakes for breakfast or as a snack topped with a bit of peanut butter and jelly! The kids will love this after-school treat.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (baking mix)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups dry potato flakes
Cream together butter or margarine, sugar, egg, and coconut flavoring. Add baking mix to mixture. Fold in potato flakes.
Drop by teaspoon on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Add them to your baked goods. That’s right, you can use potato flakes to make delicious baked goods. This recipe for crispy potato flake coconut pecan cookies from this website looks divine!
What are some ways that you use potato flakes in with your cooking?